Friday, January 22, 2010

Angel Cards - Day 13 Education

I always need excuses for why it has been too long since I've done a blog entry. Hmmmm, I think this time it's my anger, frustration, sadness, grief, and resistance. Just to name a few! Let me share a bit of my life:
1. Last weekend we saw Daughter #1 and dear friends for life. Lovely.
2. Watched, read and pondered the devastation, death, and destruction in Haiti. Heart wrenching.
3. Led a memorial service for a man who died too soon. Sadness
4. Listened as courts evaluate human rights, Supreme Court gives corporations human rights and health care reform keeps slipping further and further away. Shocking
5. and my word has been Education....are you kidding me!? I live in the state of California, schools in my area are facing multi-million dollar cuts. When I go to my relatively "wealthy" public school to register my daughter, I write a check for $2000 or 3000. There seems to be no commitment to education in this state, perhaps not even in the Country. State colleges continue to raise tuition while Administrators receive big raises and bonuses. Frustrating.
Grrrr. I'm having a difficult time holding onto the lovely when I have a broken heart, empathic sadness, shock, and frustration. I suppose I have something to LEARN from all of this.

Regarding number 5, I feel strongly that our more affluent schools should be sharing with school districts who are struggling. In my community, the arts and sciences foundation, which is only for supplemental band, choir, art and science programs, has an annual budget of over $1 million dollars. I am guessing, that our 3 area foundations net over $3 million a year. What if we were to share some of that with Richmond or Mt. Diablo? Perhaps it is crazy, but why not? And what if our churches were helping more? I know of one church in Berkeley that provides weekly tutoring for a low-income middle school in the area. Come on people. We have a responsibility to our children. Perhaps we all need to become a bit more educated!

No comments: