Monday, November 17, 2008

Since when did my daughter become more faithful than me?!


So, tonight, after school, my younger daughter comes home from school and confronts me with big issues. She sits me down and says in a nearly tearful way that she's thinking of quitting softball. She's realized (after a weekend away on a leadership team for a Love of God retreat for senior high school students) that her faith is more important that sports. She wonders why she is spending so much time on something that doesn't seem to have a lot of long, or even short term value, to her.
I know this is truly troubling her, since she was already considering quitting softball to take a part-time, after school job. What is stunning, is her thoughtfulness and the intensity of her feelings. She said that she doesn't feel she has the time she needs to develop a real "relationship" with God. She said she knows it isn't just about going to worship on Sundays or going through the motions, it's a way of life! Whoa! Suddenly, I feel I've been leapfrogged. How did my kids get so big, old, mature and smarter than me?

No comments: