Sunday, November 1, 2009

28 Day Cleanse - Day 24


Oh my goodness, my brain and my heart are so full. I have had an incredible two days and very little of it has to do with food, my body or anything physical. In some ways it is easy for me to forget about those things when life gets rolling. I need to watch out for that bi-polar relationship with food - I can tend to swing from focus and attention to how I am taking care of myself and what goes into my mouth, to a complete ignorance of self-care and monitoring my intake. This is not a great swing.

Yesterday I co-led retreat with 30 plus women from my church. Amazing! Such a deep caring for one another and a desire to be in community. Food there was okay....veggies, a bit of meat from the pasta dish and some fruit. Last night David made chicken skewers and vegetables on the grill. Yummy!!!! I find I do best with a shake or two a day and two moderate to small meals.

Today was one of those days that was full to the brim. Worship and preaching, then an afternoon full of writing liturgies for Advent, followed by two visits with octogenarians who have both suffered from falls. It was such a contrast - one of them is so sad and so tired and really doesn't have the fight to keep going. The other one had just recovered from a broken hip, and fell on Friday and broke the OTHER hip. She is determined to go through surgery, rehab, and get herself back to full strength and use no walking aids (this may not be the wisest thing for her!). In both cases, I just felt so incredibly blessed and humbled to be these women's pastor.
God is so good....

1 comment:

SK said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful, "feasting" weekend! Now only four more days to go. I've been interested to see how you handle the social situations where you don't have complete control over the food you are served. Looks like the shakes are a big help in that area... but then you have the willpower to pick out the foods you can eat, and leave behind the rest. Is that easier now than it was at first? Remember the hunt for sugar and you found the candy corn? :)