Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ahhhhhhhhh it was great to be back

Ever have one of those days where you just are feeling sorry for yourself? It was one of those days for me. As I was driving home from church, it was exacerbated by seeing all these families out on the school field by our house. Dozens of them! They'd been there all day. The first pathetic thought that came to mind is, "Oh woe is me. Why are all these people out here instead of at church, where they belong!?" I started down that slippery slope of wondering what difference anything I do makes, does the ministry really help anyone, is it all just self-serving and impossible, irrelevant and without a future? The spiral down continues as I then start to doubt whether I can do this and personalize the lack of young people in church to my own failings. Wow! Talk about functional atheism.

Anyway, I arrived home and vowed to continue to work here as it's cooler in my house than in the office. I opened my email and found a note from a church member. The trite saying, "God works in mysterious ways" comes to mind. I'm editing what she said, but this is the essence of it:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh It was great to be back. I have missed you, and the church and everyone at CVPC. Your sermon today, once again, hit the mark for me! Thank you!!! (some personal stuff I've deleted including ways she has been questioning and some gatherings and comments that have really caused her to question, as well as her personal doubts re: lack of knowledge of scripture) So I have been spending my Sundays in quiet reflection, not learning, not questioning, but soaking in all of the gifts we have here before us. I am still just as confused, but I am happier about it now. So that is why I have been "absent" from services this summer. (some more personal reasons for being away) Funny how things work themselves out, hhhmmmmmm. ( And yes I did thank God for the gift of a good friend)....Thank you again for your words today, they made a difference in my life.


No comments: