Friday, August 22, 2008

my friend, Sadie


I have a friend named Sadie. She is one of my youngest friends. In a week, she'll be two years old. It's funny how much she teaches me. Being around one so young without requirement says to me that it's really good to have a friend who doesn't "need" you to be her friend. Her parents take care of her in so many ways, but they also leave her be and let her be friends with lots of other folks.

I love the way she looks at life. Her questions are so wise. "What's momma doing?" "What's that?" and her statements too, like "Up, please." "I don't know!!!" "uh-oh" and "bump bump"(which means put it back where it was) All of these are such simple phrases and such transparent ways of looking at her world.

We adults become so complicated and so convinced that we already know the answers, so we don't have to ask the questions. We assume we already know what "momma" is doing. We've decided for ourselves what things are. As for the requests and statements, we are seldom vulnerable or interdependent enough to ask another for a lift up and we never, ever, ever want to admit that we don't know something. It is nearly impossible for us to admit that we've done something wrong that would require an"uh-oh" to be uttered from our mouths.

My friends, do remember, "a little child shall lead them."
Peace and grace,
Gail

No comments: