Sunday, December 20, 2009

Angel Cards - Day 3 Balance

Balance!? Balance!? Are you KIDDING me? You all, or at least most of you all, have absolutely no idea how ironic it is that I would draw this word today. First of all, this has been a key word for me for the last year or so. Prior to that, it was freedom. Balance is both a physical and a metaphoric challenge for me. I've always been a bit of a klutz, very un-athletic and well, I can't even ride a bike! So, when I was making a personal goal for myself last year, the word that arose was balance.

The other reason that balance is a challenge for me, is that I have a very difficult time saying no. I can an barely even form my lips around the word. I live with an illusion that every good thing I'm offered deserves a yes (this can be problematic when it comes to food, too). There must always be time to fit in just one more activity, job, speaking engagement, event or the like, into my already jam-packed schedule. If I weren't supposed to do all these things, God surely wouldn't not have allowed them to be presented to me, right?

Sigh, so I am constantly striving for balance in my life. Another irony of this is that while I hold little or no stock in the astrological signs, I am a Libra. Yeah, the sign of the scales. Balance, balance, balance. Supposedly we are people seek harmony, equality and balance. Yep, there is that word again. Honestly, when will it ever leave me alone?

I suppose this recurring theme would not be a big deal to me if I were even close to achieving it - balance, that is. For example, today, I arose at 8 am, got to church, rehearsed with the choir at 9 am. Checked in with the leaders of the Children's Pageant and the liturgists, welcomed folks to church at 10:30 a.m. and greeted folks at fellowship hour at 11:30 a.m. Left church at 12:15 pm. Took my daughter to Target to do some Christmas shopping and searched for 15 minutes but could not find parking. Decided we should make our way toward Davis via the Vacaville Outlet Malls so that she could find her gifts there. Shopped and had lunch. Got back on the freeway at 3:45 and went to the Mondavi Center for a 5 pm Chanticleer concert. Left there at 7ish and got to a restaurant where we met church members and friends for a dinner. Back in the car at 9 pm and home by 10 pm. Now, so that I might have some sense of balance in my life, I'm keeping my commitment to write at 10:32 pm. Miles to go before I sleep, miles to go before I sleep....zzzzzzz

No comments: