Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Angel Cards - Day 8 Purification

So, I have a beef. I know that some of you read this from time to time. Some of you have even commented when I stop that you haven't seen me post in a while. However, none of you seem to comment on the blog itself. I find that extremely irritating! It's like putting something into the air and having it just disappear. I'm a relational person, so I lose the motivation to write if no one says anything. Please.....make a comment even if it's "Gail, this writing sucks." Well, maybe not that extreme and rude....

So, the word for the last 3 days has been Purification! I HATE this word. It has very negative connotations for me. It implies elimination and that whatever is being purified is bad, thus the need for eliminating whatever that bad substance is. I realize it also has biblical and ecclesiastical meaning, as in "preserving the peace, unity and purity of the church." Perhaps I've just never understood this. What can possibly be pure about a church? It's made up of a bunch of human beings.

Then there is the Purification Codes of the Old Testament....oy, don't get me started. It's just all this white, pure, unblemished talk that give me the creeps. I don't suppose a Protestant minister should even be saying this, but I don't care for people who believe it is their job to make the church, other people or the world pure. I'm pretty sure that any purifying to be done should be done by God! End of story....or not!

5 comments:

Deborah said...

Yeah, I hate Purification words too. Not yet made peace with it. In fact ... in the litany I used for my installation, after that phrase with the hated word in it earlier (purity .... shiver ....), I changed it to wisdom in the litany. Peace, wisdom and unity. So, I'm pondering the relation of purity to wisdom. Wisdom allows for movement and flexibility, seeing things differently. Purity seems so, so ... fixed! Must.Find.It.Then.Be.It. Ugh. So, I'm with you. But wonder if Wisdom is a progressive word for same thing?

(BTW - I follow blogs with a reader, which makes commenting difficult, or I just haven't found the easy way yet. So - I'll try to comment more, kay?)

Pastor Gail said...

Thanks Deborah! I like the idea...I'll have to ponder it more too. I love that you use the word wonder! ;-)

Deborah said...

Hey - thought upon waking .... what if "purity" or "purification" is coming back to center, which is a more spirituality & movement-oriented phrase and concept. I'm wondering about that now.

Who knew your word would strike such a chord!!
Maybe it's the word that will sink in and bear fruit this year for me?

Brook Stableford said...

This is truly inspiring. Barbara Kingsolver will be presenting writers' workshops at the San Miguel Writers Conference in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico February 19-23. I just signed up. It looks like a rare opportunity to meet her. Are you going?

Pastor Gail said...

Oh I don't know about Deborah, but I would LOVE to go!!! Not sure the time and money is there, however.