Tuesday, October 13, 2009

28 Day Cleanse - Day 5


So, there is something else that I am fasting from in these 28 days. The people who know me well know I love to shop. I am not a collector like my mom, but when I'm really honest with myself, there is a part of her in my desiring to have nice stuff, fun stuff, clothes and shoes for all occasions, etc. So, I decided that while doing this 28 day body reset, that I would refrain from shopping. I am limiting my spending to groceries, gas and minimal entertainment like a night at the movies. I don't think it's good for me to eliminate all enjoyment when I'm limiting myself in the food department. Instead, my goal is to find ways to have fun, be with friends, and even go out by myself and not go shopping or not make food the main event. 5 days into this and I am not feeling withdrawals.

This morning I was reading Sojourners verse of the day, and it was Isaiah 55:10-11:
10For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there until they have watered the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, 11so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
Several amazing things about this. Sunday the choir at my church sang an anthem set to this text. Also, while I was reading it, it was pouring rain outside my window. Finally, this is a part of Isaiah's prophecies that has been especially meaningful to me and my covenant group (three other women colleagues). Today there was much more focus on the spirit than the flesh.

1 comment:

SK said...

That is a wonderful verse, isn't it? God's word does not come back void.

I would assume that you are also using a lot of flavorful herbs in your cooking, right?

I'm glad to know you are eating cage free eggs... it is such a horrible image, all those eggs huddled miserably in the cages, unable to roll about freely. You just know that they want to get out and roll around in the green grass and sunshine! Poor little eggs! LOL (Sorry, couldn't resist!)